Monday, August 12, 2013

Aug. 12, 2013 Apparently my stomach doesn't like fermented potatoes...


                                                                                                Aug. 12, 2013

Hello everyone!

 

How are you all? 

 

It’s been another interesting week! Can you tell from the subject line? :)

Haha, but it´s been good! Last Tuesday we had our weekly zone meeting and I guess in Zona Independencia there is an ´´initiation´´ we have to go through. After the meeting some of the Elders brought out this bag of ´´tocush´´ or in other words, fermented potato. Yeah. I´m here to testify that it tastes as bad as it sounds. We had to either have one spoonful without plugging our nose, or 5 spoonfuls while plugging your nose. We all opted for the one spoonful. The best way to describe it is that it tastes and smells exactly like a petting zoo. And thats the nice way of saying it. ;) haha.  I don´t think my stomachs been the same since!

Actually, It’s probably not because of the tocush, but Hna Schroader and I have both been feeling pretty sick to our stomachs this week. The food is catching up to us once again! But all is well. Our zone leader, who is North American as well, informed us that it was completely normal and should pass soon. Until then though the sisters are making us food that isn´t as hard on our stomachs and we have been drinking a lot of ´´anis´´ or herbal tea to help our stomachs as well.

 

The work! The work is going well. We actually ran into a miracle this last Sunday. Her name is L. She had received a couple lessons from the Sister missionaries when she was living in Trujillo but then moved to Lima and stopped. Last Sunday she decided to come to church on her own and we were able to talk to her and make an appointment to visit her this last week. We sat down for our first lesson on Thursday, and in that lesson she told us she wanted to be baptized! We have met with her every day since to help get her prepared for her baptism on the 24th of August. She really is so amazing. She has been reading the Book of Mormon on her own, and has been looking up videos made from the church, and she has such a strong testimony! She teaches us more than we teach her. We are so grateful to have run in to her.

We are also working with one other family that we are hoping will be baptized that same day as well. Other than that though we are still doing a lot of contacting and finding and receiving references from the ward.

I love my companions so much! They are wonderful. Hna Schroader goes to BYUI also and we´re pretty sure we´re gonna be friends for life. Hna Mamani is our Mamacita and she calls us her Chicititas or Pequenitas. We have a lot of fun together.

Things are good, of course there is opposition in all things and this week has been pretty hard in some ways as well. The language barrier is hard, and I have a hard time contacting because I´m not always sure if I´ll be able to understand what they say back to me, and I´ve always had a hard time approaching people on the street, but all is well. Like Hna. Mamani always says, Poco a Poco! It´ll come.

 

It’s been so cold here! August here, is like our February, and even though its ´technically´in the 60s with the humidity it feels really cold. Luckily this morning though I was able to have my first warm shower! Yay! I finally asked Hna. Mamani how the warm water worked and she was like, ´´You have been taking cold showers this whole time?!´´ (in Spanish of course). haha. I am slowly but surely learning how things work around here. :)

 

In answer to your question, I have no idea what’s happening with my visa! I did leave the CCM once to do visa stuff, but haven´t heard anything since. Hopefully everything is going smoothly with that :) I´m excited to hear about the progress of Kylee´s papers! Keep me updated! I´m also glad to hear about your job at school! yay! I know that Heavenly Father is taking care of us :) Also, I still haven´t received any letters through the pouch, but I did receive one through regular US mail! Hopefully I receive the ones through the pouch soon.

I haven´t heard yet about the new temple movie here in Peru, the temple has been closed the past two weeks for cleaning but opens back up this week and maybe they´ll have the new one? I hope so! When we were in the offices last week one of the assistants told us that our mission is going to the temple soon. 

 

Well, once again I am probably forgetting things but I want to send pictures. I love you all! Good luck with school starting! I can´t believe it’s already time for school!! Have a wonderful week!

 

Con mucho amor, 

Hermana Shelton.

 

P.S. Mom, when you put letters on the blog will you only put the first initial of names? Thank you!

 

 

P.S.S. Oh yeah! Independencia is a city inside of Lima. I forgot to answer that question :) It’s also where the mission home is. Also, tell Ruth thank you for her email! I don´t have time to respond to it right now. Gotta go! Love you!

Our study area










Hermanas Shelton, Mamani and Schroader

No comments:

Post a Comment