Monday, August 18, 2014

Ser Misionera es ser feliz :)

Hello!!

Wow! The Ogden temple is completely different! I can`t believe it! Also, everyone looks so much older in those pictures (only the little people, not you mom. :)) Especially Emily. When did ya`ll get so big?

So we have had just a fabulous week here in mi bella area, bello horizonte. We finished the week with 39 lessons! On Saturday night we were adding up all of our lessons from the week and we were at 33. My companion and I looked up at each other like, what?! haha and counted again. And then all the lessons we had yesterday were just the icing on the cake :) We officially have a ``rescued`` member and three new baptism dates! yay! We had so many cool experiences this week and I want to share them all, and I don`t know how much time we have so I am just going to write as much as I can. Listo.

Tuesday was super great. It was transfer day but because we didn`t have transfers we were able to leave early in the morning to work because we didn`t have the usual district meeting and it was so great! We went and visited the hna C. We visit her all the time but when we walked in I had the strong impression to ask her about her daughter in Chile. I asked her and her face kind of fell. And she started to tell us about a fight they`d had the day before and some problems they were facing. And it turned out to be so perfect because that morning we had been studying in our companionship study for her and had found a talk in the Liahona that turned out to be exactly what she needed to read. During the lesson she started to cry and said that Heavenly Father always sends us right when she needs it. Experiences like that just never get old. I love when we have followed the spirit and it ends up being the answer to someone’s prayer. Best feeling ever :)
Then later that same day we had our first lesson with an investigator that we had invited in the street to come to church and he actually came! In all my time in the mission that has only happened twice. Well in our lesson with him on Tuesday he told us that he had been praying for guidance and for a church to join permanently. And then the next day we stopped him in the street and invited him to church! He took it as a sign from God (well, yeah! :)) and that is why he came. The lesson went really good, he has lots of questions and I think we might have to pass him to the elders cause he`s a single man but still! It was a cool experience :)
Then later that SAME day, we had our first lesson with E. I told her about you last week I think. She was the friend that was talking to L. that has two sons that are inactive. Man, that lesson was so great. We just started talking to her and she told us about her life, and how just really just wants to change and live a better life. She has a small drinking problem and likes to go to ``fiestas`` but doesn`t want to live that way anymore. We talked about the Gospel of Jesus Christ and its power to change people and when we invited her to be baptized the spirit was SO strong. She accepted! There are some obstacles to overcome (marriage and word of wisdom problems) but I know she is going to progress :) As we kneeled down so she could offer the prayer she just started to cry. Her prayer was so beautiful. I almost wanted to cry as well! As we left the house Hna Torrico just gave me a big hug, and said ``wow, que bonito`` It really was. Why is being a missionary just the coolest thing ever??
As we know, that sneaky little thing called ``opposition`` (is that how you spell that?) comes in, and when we went to go get her for church yesterday her neighbor came out and got mad at us for knocking on the door because her brother (of E.) was inside and was drugged and drunk. He had been outside bothering all the neighbors in the night and they were all locked in doors. He had finally gone to sleep and she was afraid that we would wake him up and we would be really angry. So...we were like, yeah. We`ll come back another day. Ha. Oh well. L. and M. weren`t able to come to church either, (cue ``the district`` quote, ``JUST COME TO CHURCH`` haha) but we just need to keep trying. True change isn`t something that comes easy. 
I know there is more I wanted to share but I can`t think of it right now. Bleh. Oh well. 
OH! super cool experience yesterday. Our stake president after sacrament meeting had everyone stay seated and talked about missionary work and how we need references. And he didn`t let anyone leave the meeting without first writing down the names of 3 people they know who need the gospel. The elders and us have toooons of references to visit this week, and I am excited to do so! The work is really progressing here, I can feel it. 
I know that when we are being obedient, and doing our best Heavenly Father blesses us. It may not always be in the way we expect (for example, baptism dates) but it is always in ways that we need to learn and to grow. 

Well, I guess that’s it for this week. Guess what, we`re breaking free today! Woo! We get to go to the center of Lima where all the cool stuff is at. Like, the cathedrals, museums, cool touristy stuff :) That’s why we wrote early today. 

Mom, you`re scaring me with the ``after mission`` talk. I have absolutely no idea what I want to do :P I`ll think about it this week and let you know :) 

Ok, well, love you all! Que tenga un buen semana. 

Con amor,

Hermana Shelton


No comments:

Post a Comment