Monday, November 25, 2013

A visit from an apostle

                                                                                                            November 25, 2013

Hello Family!

I hope all is well. I am great! In answer to your question, yes, my heart has been acting up again and I have had several episodes in the past two weeks. The mission doctor would like me to go to the cardiologist here just to check up and make sure that everything is ok. That is why they need the papers, just so they don`t have to do some of the same tests over again. Yes, I believe that those three papers are what they need. If you can, scan them and send them through email.  Hna. Erickson said that would work too. . But yes. Don`t worry, I`m fine :)

In other, much more exciting news, You`ll never guess who came to visit our mission this last weekend?! Elder Russell M. Nelson! He was here in Peru and they were supposed to be leaving for Venezuela on Saturday morning. But...their trip was delayed because of some things going on in their country, entonces, Elder Nelson asked, where should we go? to Elder Uceda, The area 70 president here and he said, To the Peru Lima Norte mission! And so, him, his wife, Elder Rasband, and Elder Uceda and his wife, all came for a special mission conference for our mission. It was probably the best experience in my whole entire life. I am not even joking. The spirit was so incredibly strong I can`t even put into words what I felt. We all got the opportunity to shake all of their hands, and then after I went through the line Hna Erickson asked me to go up and start playing the piano as kind of a background music while all the missionaries went through the line. So I was just sitting up there playing the piano when all of a sudden I looked up and Elder Nelson was standing RIGHT next to me listening to me play. He stuck his hand out and looked right at me and said, "Thank you for your beautiful piano playing Sister" and then he shook my hand again and sat down. I am pretty sure that was the best moment of my whole life. :)

All of the messages and things we learned were so inspired. I have so many pages of notes and I wish I could tell you everything that I learned, but I don`t have a lot of time. But one thing I absolutely loved was when the scripture in D and C 88:73 was shared. It says,  "Behold, I will ahasten my work in its time."
Elder Nelson told us that this is the scripture for our generation of missionaries. That we are the generation that was prophesied about. this is OUR time. And the greatest thing about that? Is that it isn`t just talking about the full time missionaries! With the new "Work of Salvation" we are now working fully together members and missionaries to bring about the work of Salvation. I couldn`t help but feel a sense of urgency as he was talking. We really are living in the last times. Another thing that really stuck out to me was when he said, "Write these numbers down and then save this page for your Grandchildren." He then proceeded to tell us the numbers of the church in Peru. For example, 100 stakes, 12 missions, 1 temple, and 2 announced. He then said, "I want to tell you all that this is only the beginning" We haven`t seen nothin` yet. :) And that one day we will be able to show this page to our grandchildren and they won’t believe that there were only "100" stakes in Peru. 
Ahhhhhhhhh! Doesn`t that get anybody else excited?! And that is not only here in Peru, but everywhere around the world. I am just feeling so grateful and excited to be a part of this. But remember family, even if you aren`t a full time missionary you are part of it as well! Now is the time to work together. 
I don`t have time to tell you anymore but I will try and tell you more next week. I want to leave with you a quote from Elder Holland,

"In fact, I have a theory about those earlier dispensations I have thought often about them and the destructive circumstances that confronted them. They faced terribly difficult times and, for the most part, did not succeed in their dispensations. In short, apostasy and destruction of one kind or another was the ultimate fate of every general dispensation we have ever had down through time. But here’s my theory. My theory is that those great men and women, the leaders in those ages past, were able to keep going, to keep testifying, to keep trying to do their best, not because they knew that they would succeed but because they knew that you would. I believe they took courage and hope not so much from their own circumstances as from yours. One way or another, I think virtually all of the prophets and early apostles had their visionary moments of our time—a view that gave them courage in their own less-successful eras. Those early brethren knew an amazing amount about us. Prophets such as Moses, Nephi, and the brother of Jared saw the latter days in tremendously detailed vision. Some of what they saw wasn’t pleasing, but surely all those earlier generations took heart from knowing that there would finally be one dispensation that would not fail. Ours, not theirs, was the day that gave them “heavenly and joyful anticipations” and caused them to sing and prophesy of victory. Ours is the day, collectively speaking, toward which the prophets have been looking from the beginning of time, and those earlier brethren are over there still cheering us on! In a very real way, their chance to consider themselves fully successful depends on our faithfulness and our victory. I love the idea of going into the battle of the last days representing Alma and Abinadi and what they pled for and representing Peter and Paul and the sacrifices they made. If you can’t get excited about that kind of assignment in the drama of history, you can’t get excited!" Elder Holland, Terror, Triumph and a Wedding Feast.

One last thing. Elder Nelson left us with an apostolic blessing. In it was included a blessing of health. I know that everything with my heart will be OK. I`m not worried :)

I love you all and hope you have a wonderful week.

Con mucho amor, 
Hermana Shelton

Pictures:

Peru has been good to me. If the scales are correct I`ve lost about 15 pounds :)

My first companionship reunited for the very last time at the mission conference with Elder Nelson. Hna Mamani finishes her mission next week. I`m gonna miss her way too much.




No comments:

Post a Comment