Monday, September 30, 2013

Hola! Hola!


                                                                                                Sept. 30, 2013

Hola! Hola!

 

I am glad to hear everyone had a good week and that you had a good birthday Mom. After I got off the computer last week I realized that I had forgotten to wish you a happy birthday and I felt bad, but I thought about you on Thursday and asked Heavenly Father to send you my love and birthday wishes, so I hope you felt it :) 

 

One thing I would love in a Christmas package is the Nashville tribute band CD called, ¨The Work.¨ Most especially the song called, ¨The hardest thing I´ve ever loved to do¨ I can´t think of anything else right now off the top of my head but I will ask about tricks for getting a package here safely and let you know more next week.

 

Haha, sorry about the ¨having experiences I can´t tell you about yet¨ part of my letter last week. Don´t worry, I´m safe! We just get a lot of attention. My new area is a lot poorer than my old area and we have a lot of the cerros (hills). Basically that means that we go hiking every single day, but that’s ok. I am getting some serious calf muscles! The people here are very receptive and friendly and a lot will listen to us, the problem is getting them to progress. But most people we talk to are very nice and I think I have only talked to one man who doesn´t believe in God. Everyone is very, very religious... and very very Catholic. :) Also, something I was warned about, and have come to know for myself as well, is that everyone here believes that the only way to receive revelation is through dreams. An elder in the office was talking to us my second week here and asked if we´d heard about any ¨dreams¨ yet. I said no and he said, ¨Oh. You will.¨ And its true. I have had several investigators ask me to interpret a dream they had, and many others tell me that if they receive an answer from God in their dreams, then they will know that the Book of Mormon is true, or that they should get baptized, etc... We get to explain about the Spirit and how it works a whole lot! :)

 

I did get to watch the Relief Society broadcast this week! In Spanish of course, but same thing :) I was thinking throughout the whole thing, ¨I bet Mom and Kylee are watching this right now, too!¨ It was so good. I was so excited to listen to President Monson. And  I am so excited for Conference this weekend! We get to watch it at the Stake Center (in Spanish of course) and I can´t wait. 

 

We had a good week! A little bit stressful, but good. We had a baptism this weekend for J. and basically everything that could´ve gone wrong, did. We couldn´t get hold of our ward mission leader all week, everyone who was supposed to be on the program cancelled, and the font wouldn´t fill up with water. So we had to move to a different Chapel, do the program ourselves, and call the ward mission leader in my old ward to get the baptismal clothes, but we were able to baptize him and thats the most important part. It also meant I had the ¨opportunity¨ to improvise a talk about baptism in Spanish and give it in front of everyone. That was only a little bit terrifying. But I think it went pretty ok! Hna Shriver and I also sang a musical number and J. sang with us and it was really sweet. (have I mentioned before that he´s ten?) The three of us sang Teach me to Walk in the Light and his aunt (who was recently baptized as well and is his legal guardian) told us afterwards that it’s her new favorite hymn. J. doesn´t talk much and it was a little bit difficult to teach him and get him to open up to us, but in his prayer we had with him before his baptism he said, ¨Thank you for the Hermanas Misioneras, who have helped me and become like a family to me¨ It was probably one of the sweetest things I´ve ever heard. I may have even teared up a little bit :) So, even though everything leading up to the baptism was stressful, it was all worth it :)

 

I can´t think of anything else super exciting that happened this week, just a normal week in the life of a missionary. :) 

 

I hope everyone has a wonderful week at home! I love you all!!

 

Hermana Shelton

 

No comments:

Post a Comment